During these trying times, it’s hard to stay present in the moment, especially when dealing with things as scary as viruses. Fortunately though, there are many ways in which we can help our body stay healthy during these times. These strategies not only help your body fight off viruses and recover from illness faster, but they can also help your body build up immunity. So to help ease your mind about viral infection, here are some tried and true tips for immune support to help protect against COVID-19.
Prevention Strategies for viruses, COVID-19 and flu:
These techniques are best used before you get sick to help prevent contraction and spread of viruses.
- Handwashing for 30 seconds with liquid soap
- Simple diet with low sugar
- Hydration (at least half your body weight in ounces)
- Stress management
- Sleep (at least 8 hours a day)
- Elderberry extract daily (https://drappleseed.com/)
- Fire cider daily (https://herbalachia.com/fire-cider-recipe/) – takes a few weeks to make to prepare ahead of time.
- Garlic: 1-2 whole cloves a few times a day or with meals
- Vitamin C
- Mushrooms: turkey tail and reishi especially (https://www.realmushrooms.com/)
- Vitamin D
If you have flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, respiratory symptoms)… All of the above are helpful, along with:
- Stay home if you are sick with fever, cough or respiratory problems
- Sleep! (9-10 hours a day if possible)
- Increase the elderberry up to 4-5 times day
- Vitamin D (high dose) – contact your Dr. about dosages appropriate for you.
- Increase Vitamin C to 3-8 times per day, to bowel tolerance
- Andrographis: (Kold Kare, https://karenherbs.com) (Chuan Xin Lian Pian Chinese Herbs)
- NAC for drying up mucous, and anti-oxidant effect
- Probiotic (high dose) – contact your Dr. about dosages appropriate for you.
- Wise woman CE-II, (cough elixir 2) for cough and respiratory sickness
- Hydrotherapy: warming socks every night, contrast hot/cold with every shower (see below)
Warming Socks:This treatment increases circulation and decreases upper respiratory congestion. It is also useful for acute infections and to help reduce fever and congestion
Soak a pair of thin cotton socks with cold water and wring socks out thoroughly. Place them in your freezer for 5-10 or until slightly crunchy but not frozen right before you go to bed. As you get into bed, place the socks on your feet. Cover the cold socks with a second pair of thick, dry wool socks. Go directly to bed to avoid getting chilled. Keep the socks on overnight. Your feet will be initially cold but will warm up fast and the socks should be dry and warm when you wake up in the morning.
Contrast shower: At the end of your shower, do 3 minutes of hot water, 30 seconds of cold water with 3 rotations, ending on cold
Immune Boosting Soup
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1-5 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed (to taste)
- 1 tsp – 3 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root (to taste)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Shiitake mushrooms ½ cup cliced
- 1 quart chicken or mushroom broth
- 3Tbsp of fresh, minced parsley
- 1 grated carrot
- Combine the broth, onion, ginger, garlic, mushrooms and simmer for 15-20 min
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice, carrot and parsley. Put cover on pan and steam for 5 minutes.
- Eat 1-4x a day.
We have also been answering lots of questions about how COVID-19 and other flu’s might affect those with autoimmune diseases. If you have questions about that, check out our blog post on the flu and autoimmune diseases. If you have specific questions about any of the treatments used above, schedule an appt with one of our physicians! We are currently doing telemedicine and phone consults to help reduce spread but to still be able to get care to people who need it. Stay safe everyone!